Instable Wlan of Fritzbox 6660/Instabiles Wlan der Fritzbox 6660

Diskutiere Instable Wlan of Fritzbox 6660/Instabiles Wlan der Fritzbox 6660 im FRITZ!Box für Kabel Internet Forum im Bereich Internet und Telefon bei Unitymedia; Dear all, I just switched from Vodafone 50Mbit/s (Fritzbox 6490) to Vodafone 1,000Mbit/s several days ago. Right now I'm suffering the instable...

chenb737

Reaktionen
Dear all, I just switched from Vodafone 50Mbit/s (Fritzbox 6490) to Vodafone 1,000Mbit/s several days ago. Right now I'm suffering the instable wlan speed from 0-500Mbit/s. In most time, it is only 50Mbit/s, and less stable as that of using Fritzbox 6490.Furthermore, the further I stand away from 6660, the wlan signal got worse dramatically. It was not like this even with 6490 (well covered my apartment).

Do you have any ideas or tricks to improve this situation? Thanks a lot!!

I AM A GERMAN TRANSLATER:

Hallo zusammen, ich bin vor einigen Tagen von Vodafone 50Mbit/s (Fritzbox 6490) auf Vodafone 1.000Mbit/s gewechselt. Momentan leide ich unter der instabilen Wlan-Geschwindigkeit von 0-500Mbit/s. Meistens sind es nur 50Mbit/s und weniger stabil als bei der Fritzbox 6490. Außerdem wird das Wlan-Signal dramatisch schlechter, je weiter ich von der 6660 entfernt stehe. Das war bei der 6490 noch nicht so (hat meine Wohnung gut abgedeckt).

Habt ihr irgendwelche Ideen oder Tricks um diese Situation zu verbessern? Vielen Dank!!

lupus

Reaktionen
Did you import the 6490 settings? Maybe try a factory reset or compare the wifi settings with the 6490, especially channel selection and stuff.

Joerg123

Reaktionen
what about other wlan networks in your area ? perhaps it will help to switch from auto-channel to a fixed channel with less foreign networks.
What are we talking about ? 2.4GHz or 5GHz band ? (2.4 is basically used by more other networks and is slower but the signal strength is better from the lower frequency wlan). Are you able to use 5 GHz with your hardware

Take a look on the Fritzbox in the menu Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi channel, perhaps post a screenshot of the graphic "Occupied by Wi-Fi networks" if you could use 5 GHz a screenshot from both bands, 2.4 and 4 GHz. This graphic will also help to determine a good channel for fixed frequency instead of auto-channel.

PS: it is a Wlan problem only ? you have full speed via lan cable connection ??

chenb737

Reaktionen
Did you import the 6490 settings? Maybe try a factory reset or compare the wifi settings with the 6490, especially channel selection and stuff.
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I did not backup last settings, I just simply unplugged 6490 and plugged in 6660. Now 6490 is on the way back....After some checking, it turns out that my 6660 is still FritzOS 07.22 but could not be updated to newer version manually...

right now, the download speed is quite unstable and unpredictable. But upload speed is quite good in most of time, around 50 Mbit/s.

chenb737

Reaktionen
what about other wlan networks in your area ? perhaps it will help to switch from auto-channel to a fixed channel with less foreign networks.
What are we talking about ? 2.4GHz or 5GHz band ? (2.4 is basically used by more other networks and is slower but the signal strength is better from the lower frequency wlan). Are you able to use 5 GHz with your hardware

Take a look on the Fritzbox in the menu Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi channel, perhaps post a screenshot of the graphic "Occupied by Wi-Fi networks" if you could use 5 GHz a screenshot from both bands, 2.4 and 4 GHz. This graphic will also help to determine a good channel for fixed frequency instead of auto-channel.

PS: it is a Wlan problem only ? you have full speed via lan cable connection ??
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Actually, I've already switched from auto-channel to fixed channel so that avoiding more signal overlapping. For the two images below, one can find the status of 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. The peaks were from my wifispeedtest APP. So I believe it meant the signal was not that strong. I could clearly feel the speed going down when stepping away from 6660. The point is my last 6490 can cover my apartment quite well even though it was only 50Mbit/s, but now with 6660, it turned out to be quite different...

I have not tried any cable connection since all my PCs have no Ethernet port, and I never get one for myself, which makes me look stupid now...

I'm not sure this is the case, but I tend to believe this is due to the FritzOS version. Some people in this forum said there is a strong conflict between Iphone and FritzOS 07.22, which is the same case to my wife's iphone now.

Anhänge

chenb737

Reaktionen
Hi Lupus, thanks for your reply. I dowwnloaded the "*.image" file, but the point is my 6660 is from Vodafone, and it was not allowed to upgrade manually. I even could not see the place of "Choose file" in the Fritzbox interface.
I tend to believe and update would help, but sad to say it is not feasible in my case. I'm waiting for the response from Vodafone technician, and hopefully they could achieve the update remotely.

Joerg123

Reaktionen
using 5GHz wlan is fine, there is only one other network on the same frequency. In the box below you can see the strength of the other network using wlan channel 36 when you move the mouse above the wlan-wave-symbol (you can also see if one, two or more or all lines are blue (completely gray means other wlan network is below 20% what would be best).

What do you find in the menu Internet > Cable information ? especially the 2nd tab = channels shows how good your connection is an how many errors occur.
If you have only wlan devices, perhaps you can get a friend with a laptop that offers a lan-port is able to come for a visit to test speed to make sure its not a problem of the internet connection itself.
You might also try speedtest: https://speedtest.unitymedia.de this test will also calculate a speed from provider to your fritzbox if wlan is too slow.
BTW: in which town are you ? your are Vodafone customer within a former Unitymedia region ? (NRW, Hessen, BW)

chenb737

Reaktionen
using 5GHz wlan is fine, there is only one other network on the same frequency. In the box below you can see the strength of the other network using wlan channel 36 when you move the mouse above the wlan-wave-symbol (you can also see if one, two or more or all lines are blue (completely gray means other wlan network is below 20% what would be best).

What do you find in the menu Internet > Cable information ? especially the 2nd tab = channels shows how good your connection is an how many errors occur.
If you have only wlan devices, perhaps you can get a friend with a laptop that offers a lan-port is able to come for a visit to test speed to make sure its not a problem of the internet connection itself.
You might also try speedtest: https://speedtest.unitymedia.de this test will also calculate a speed from provider to your fritzbox if wlan is too slow.
BTW: in which town are you ? your are Vodafone customer within a former Unitymedia region ? (NRW, Hessen, BW)
Hi Jörg, thanks for your response.

According to your advice, I checked the "Cable information" and its 2nd tab. It seems thousands of correctable errors are taking place under various frequencies. I do no think I can do anything there.

I also tested the speed by using the link you provided, the problem was between the connection in my apartment. I think something wrong with the function of sending signals from 6660.

I'm in Saxony,so the location shall be fine for Vodafone service. I just added 01721217212 via Whatsapp, it can turn into real-person service after checking by robot service. They told me they could see a fault and will fix it within 24 hours. Hopefully......

Anhänge

Joerg123

Reaktionen
Then good luck, support will fix it.
At least you have only 64MBit/s on your Wlan, whatever the reason might be.
The other measuring to your modem with full speed result. I am not sure how this test is done, some people say the value is only generated from a database and depends on stored performance values and traffic in your region but no data transmission at all is used for this test. So even if this test says "perfect line" the problem might still be related to your internet connection and might be solved by VF support

PS: otherwise make a screenshot of this channel page from Internet > cable-information. Some people here with experience are able to say something from MSE and other values

chenb737

Reaktionen
Then good luck, support will fix it.
At least you have only 64MBit/s on your Wlan, whatever the reason might be.
The other measuring to your modem with full speed result. I am not sure how this test is done, some people say the value is only generated from a database and depends on stored performance values and traffic in your region but no data transmission at all is used for this test. So even if this test says "perfect line" the problem might still be related to your internet connection and might be solved by VF support

PS: otherwise make a screenshot of this channel page from Internet > cable-information. Some people here with experience are able to say something from MSE and other values
Thanks for your reply Jörg.

After checking other people's comments in different German forums, it seems like the problem was coming from unstable signal sending from 6660 to my devices, which means "power level" plays a role in the process. So I believe what determines power level shall be figured out and modified accordingly. I will take a screenshot for the cable information page and upload here later today. Hopefully, Vodafone technicians can be competent to solve the problems asap. Fingers crossed 😬

MartinP_Do

MartinP_Do

Reaktionen
As long as only "correctable" errors occur, and "uncorrectables" are 0 (or a small, not increasing number), everything will be fine according to signal quality in receive path of modem.

chenb737

Reaktionen
As long as only "correctable" errors occur, and "uncorrectables" are 0 (or a small, not increasing number), everything will be fine according to signal quality in receive path of modem.
Hi Martin, thanks for your comments.

The annoying part is the wlan is so unpredictably unstable that I could not finish an online meeting during home office.

By the way, do you have any idea how to book an on-door service from Vodafone? Would it cost any? Thanks

Jung-Fernmelder

Reaktionen
Dear user chenb737,

as far as I know you can get an appointment with a so called technician (they aren´t technicians in most cases, often they are common telecommunications craftsmen) only if your internet connection or other Vodafone services like television oder phone is faulty. I can´t determine whether there is a malfunction of your internet connection. To check this you would have to connect a powerful computer which is equipped with a gigabit ethernet (or better) network interfache card to the internet access device by a patchcable which meets the Cat.6 standard at least. Then you would have to perfom the speedtest again and maybe you would have to perform it about one dozen times during different times of day and night. Maybe you want to borrow this equipment from a friend and perform these steps in order to determine whether it is a cable network or a wifi issue or both.
Perhaps the wifi is not working fine only. Maybe the Vodafone support agents will deny to order an appointment with a technician. You could try to get an appointment with a technician by phoning the Vodafone customers support hotline or by contacting Vodafone over different channels and ask for it. Maybe you will have to try it more than once, the Vodafone support agents are working really differently and sometimes you´re lucky with the person you are communicating with and sometime you aren´t. The appointment with the technician will be free for you because your internet access device belongs to Vodafone. Only if you operate your own internet access device sometimes Vodafone says the customer would have to pay a fee under various circumstances. But I don´t know whether this fee was ever charged to a costumers bill.
I hope that I could help you and the issue will be solved soon.

Best regards

Jung-Fernmelder

Torsten1973

Torsten1973

Reaktionen

chenb737

Reaktionen
Dear user chenb737,

as far as I know you can get an appointment with a so called technician (they aren´t technicians in most cases, often they are common telecommunications craftsmen) only if your internet connection or other Vodafone services like television oder phone is faulty. I can´t determine whether there is a malfunction of your internet connection. To check this you would have to connect a powerful computer which is equipped with a gigabit ethernet (or better) network interfache card to the internet access device by a patchcable which meets the Cat.6 standard at least. Then you would have to perfom the speedtest again and maybe you would have to perform it about one dozen times during different times of day and night. Maybe you want to borrow this equipment from a friend and perform these steps in order to determine whether it is a cable network or a wifi issue or both.
Perhaps the wifi is not working fine only. Maybe the Vodafone support agents will deny to order an appointment with a technician. You could try to get an appointment with a technician by phoning the Vodafone customers support hotline or by contacting Vodafone over different channels and ask for it. Maybe you will have to try it more than once, the Vodafone support agents are working really differently and sometimes you´re lucky with the person you are communicating with and sometime you aren´t. The appointment with the technician will be free for you because your internet access device belongs to Vodafone. Only if you operate your own internet access device sometimes Vodafone says the customer would have to pay a fee under various circumstances. But I don´t know whether this fee was ever charged to a costumers bill.
I hope that I could help you and the issue will be solved soon.

Best regards

Jung-Fernmelder
Dear user Jung-Fernmelder,

Thank you for your reply.

For your information, I am using a PC with an ethernet card of "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265", which has maximum speed of "867 Mbps". However, I checked the cable connection between 6660 and my PC last night, and it turned out the internet speed is only around 100Mbit/s maximum. So I have the impression that:

1. either some "green mode" was activated inside 6660, but I could not turn it off in the Fritzbox settings due to it was from a provider (Vodafone)

2.or there might be some units in side 6660 broke, which can also been proved by low absolute power level of wifi (mein was -40dbm, but neighbours were around -70-90 dbm)

So I still tend to believe an update on my FritzOS would be helpful, but Vodafone needs to arrange that remotely or send some technician to my apartment.

chenb737

Reaktionen
Hi Torsten,

thanks for your answers.

the price is over my budget, so I think I need to rely on Vodafone to solve the problem, which they should do since this shall be part of the contract, as well as the Fritzbox is paid monthly.

MartinP_Do

MartinP_Do

Reaktionen
If you have the opportunity to get hand on a separate WIFI-router or -access point, it would be possible to disable the WLAN of the Fritz!Box, and use the Access-Point for WLAN. Perhaps only for a temporary test ...

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Torsten1973

Jung-Fernmelder

Reaktionen
Dear user chenb737,

thank you very much for your answers.

PC with an ethernet card of "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265"
That's not good. To check whether the connection between Vodafone's cable network and your internet access device works fine you should use a wired connection between your internet acces device and your computer. A wireless connection may be faulty due other wireless networks, some electric devices or other things. If you don't own a computer with a conventional gigabit (or faster) ethernet port (not wireless!) may you can borrow it.

I checked the cable connection between 6660 and my PC
Please excuse, but I can't understand this information. One sentence before you write about your computers wireless network interface. At first you have to proof that a wired connection works fine. If the wired connection is faulty you have to fix this. Maybe you can't fix it by yourself. In that case it is Vodafone's duty to fix it. First of all the wired connection has to work properly and as a second step you can try to optimize the wireless connection.

1. either some "green mode" was activated inside 6660
I don't think that Vodafone enforces a green mode in your internet access device. The AVM FRITZ!Box's green mode can be turned off by hand in most cases, even if it's a rented one. But did you check the transfer mode of your network interface card in your computers device manager? Sometimes the transfer mode gets stuck in fast ethernet and doesn't switch to gigabit ethernet automatically. Maybe you can switch the transfer mode of your computers network interface card by hand.

Well, I'm afraid that the user Torsten1973 made a little joke. The 999,- € is the fee which you have to pay when you want that Vodafone connects your house to their cable network, i.e. when you build a new house or buy an existing one without a connection to Vodafone's cable network. If you are wealthy enough to afford an own house this 999,- € fee won't bother you. But that doesn't matter because the house you are living in is already connected to Vodafone's cable network obviously.

Vodafone to solve the problem, which they should do since this shall be part of the contract
You're absolutely right that it's Vodafone's duty to provide you an internet connection which works fine. But to proof Vodafone that there is a fault you have to check it with a wired connection between your pc and your internet access device. If you perform the speedtests with a wireless connection only Vodafone may deny any support. They oftern deny any support when the customer performs speedtest with a wireless connection. This practice may be not customer-friendly but Vodafone doesn't care about their existing customers, they want to accquire new customers only and the support provided by Vodafone gets critizised very often, may you want refer other threads in this forum.

I hope that your issue will be fixed soon, so you can use your internet connection properly, as well as with a wired connection as wireless. A proper internet connection is important for a good quality of life.

Best regards

Jung-Fernmelder

Thema:

Instable Wlan of Fritzbox 6660/Instabiles Wlan der Fritzbox 6660

Instable Wlan of Fritzbox 6660/Instabiles Wlan der Fritzbox 6660 - Ähnliche Themen

• Fritzbox 6591 WLAN verbunden aber kein Internet

Fritzbox 6591 WLAN verbunden aber kein Internet: Hallo ich beobachte seit ca 1 Monat das bei mir am Handy das internet weg ist, aber wlan verfügbar ist. Ich habe schon die Verknüpfung vom WLAN am...
  • FritzBox 6591 - WLan nach Update 7.22 schlecht

FritzBox 6591 - WLan nach Update 7.22 schlecht: Hallo zusammen, ich bin neuer Kabelinternet-Nutzer und habe die FB 6591 von Unitymedia im Einsatz. In letzter Zeit habe ich mich über schlechteres...
  • Connectbox und FortiClient: Internet nur über WLAN-Verbindung, nicht über Ethernet

Connectbox und FortiClient: Internet nur über WLAN-Verbindung, nicht über Ethernet: Hallo allerseits, ich habe zwei Laptops an meiner ConnectBox hängen. Dies lief über WLAN immer prima (mit Ausnahme der Netzwerkstörungen bei...
  • AVM WLan/DLan Möglichkeiten mit Gastnetz

AVM WLan/DLan Möglichkeiten mit Gastnetz: Ich sehe hier im Forum keinen Bereich für allgemeine Netzwerktechnik, von daher pack ich es mal in den Fritzbox-Bereich, geht es mir doch um...
  • WLAN Probleme mit FRITZ!Box 6340 Cable

WLAN Probleme mit FRITZ!Box 6340 Cable: Hallo an alle: Hatte bisher nie Probleme mit meinem Kabelanschluss etc. Netzwerk und Router seit 2016 stabil Router lief praktisch 24/7. Nun...